Saturday 9 June 2012

God's Economics

Economics seems to be the buzz. Newspapers write feature articles on it, students study it, people share their opinions on it, and politicians manipulate it. With the global economic climate not doing so well, and the fact that the problem deals with lots of money, (in the trillions), it is a legitimate concern to be worried about.

It has been interesting for me studying economics to see the extent to which economics governs our lives. Everyone needs money, and everyone wants more money. The fact that a whole industry has been created to cater for the above demand shows the degree in which the human race is steeped in this desire. Even more interesting is the fact that human well-being is mostly measured by economic factors. How much money someone has.

I understand there are legitimate struggles for those with little access to money. Since I have a computer, I am already in the top 1% of the richest people in the world. So what I am not saying is that money isn't important. It is!

But I think God's economics will look different. Money will be used, but won't be coveted. Wealth will be a blessing to be shared, not a treasure to be guarded. God's economics will benefit humans, not enslave them.

So when I hear news of a market crash, I will be praying. Praying for the millions of people who have lost money, that they will not be devastated. But also, that they will understand that no matter what, they can never lose God.

2 comments:

  1. This was a powerful post. I loved your thoughts and so agree with them all. Thanks for this one!
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Money is the root of all evil. The greed of money caused Judas to betray God! It is a very powerful thing in certain peoples eyes. The Lords prayer states "Give us THIS day our DAILY bread" this to me says live life for today not yesterday or tomorrow. So when a market crashes fear not! Matt 6:26

    ReplyDelete