Saturday 28 July 2012

Made for eternity

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

I hope you get the joke, but I was struck today at just how fast time really does move. If it was an animal, I'm sure it would be quicker than a cheetah. I am sure I had at least a week till I had to get ready for camp, and now it is looming in front of me with a death stare saying "Are you ready?"

I feel bad trivialising the passing of time. For some, time is of the essence, and when it continues to travel along so quickly, it becomes heart breaking. The thing is, I think it's because we were made for eternity.

We were made for a place where death was not looming, things did not turn to dust, and people did not have to go away. Time did not matter. But when we fell out of that perfect relationship with our creator, our clocks turned to reserve power, which won't last forever.

I'm sure there are other things that make us feel the world is broken. Suffering, pain, broken relationships. The passing of time is another more subtle way which still shows how trashed our world has become.

With everything however, we have an assured hope that with a renewed relationship with our creator, time won't matter anymore. We will live for eternity with him.

3 comments:

  1. I've never looked at it from this point of view- "we were made for eternity"- beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to that day of eternity. I am glad that God's time will not be our time. I can relate to your thoughts today!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also long for that day! Blessings to you too.

      Delete